Monday 13 October 2014

Of pink helmets, clean shaves and a Russian GP

I have always been considered as a second-rung driver, since right back in 2000 when I debuted in Formula 1 with Williams. Seven team changes (by name only) and a world championship later, I am still not deemed as one of the best on track. Formula 1 is about the right driver in the right car, and after a long hiatus that came true for me in 2009 with Brawn. The car clicked and we were one. Driver and car. Race after race. Regrettably, that has not been taking place after I left Brawn- now Mercedes- to join F1 giants McLaren. Joining them was a no-brainer; who in their right minds will refuse a seat at the one of the oldest teams in Formula 1?

Winning the coveted title with Brawn in 2009

At McLaren, I suppose I did pretty well against their 2007 rookie sensation Lewis. Nevertheless, McLaren had not learned their lesson from the fireworks generated by driver rivalry in 2007, resulting in a lost championship. When I came in, they were all about equal driver status again. But yeah, they had always been about equal opportunity, which is an admirable thing about a team. I liked them from the get go, except a few too many endorsements that were obligatory. Case in question: I have always had a little stubble, but when Gilette became a sponsor of McLaren I was given strict instructions to shave clean. Maybe the rigidity made Lewis leave, but I don’t mind it much.

With Kevin during the Wig Wednesday for a cancer charity for children

In 2014, Kevin Magnussen replaced the brief intern Sergio Perez, who was thrown out unceremoniously. Kevin has shown promise, but I have outdriven him on most occasions so far. Papa’s passing made a huge impact on my psyche, but I did not let that deter me from performing my best. I put on the race suit, donned my helmet, pulled down the visor and raced. That is what I know best. And yet, there is uncertainty about my future at the team. Do I have to be the one to step out to make way for whoever is coming? Am I so unreliable that my team cannot have faith in my talents? Rumour is Kevin might go out too, or both he and I might get to continue. I detest it when the driver market is buzzing with transfers and retirements and Sabbaths looming. Sebastian triggered it by saying he will move to Ferrari next year, and Fernando seems so disillusioned with Ferrari that he will definitely leave. And possibly join McLaren. 

Tribute helmet for Papa

This year has been the most difficult of my entire life, with my old man not having my back anymore. But I raced on as usual, and have had the upper hand in points to Kevin. After Japan, I needed to make a strong statement that I am still the driver that won the championship. I know I am not young anymore, but I still have got what it takes. And though I never expected Sochi to be the place where I prove my worth, it turns out it was.

Russian GP

A week was very less time to recover from what happened to Jules Bianchi in the Japanese GP. He is still fighting for his life after that freak accident, and the whole F1 world is united in their support for him. What took place is a sign that motorsports is dangerous no matter what they say. Even a sport as safe as F1 is not really safe. I hope with all my heart that Jules comes back to racing sooner rather than later.

A Formula 1 race has never been held in Russia after the sport was christened so in 1950. The last F1-like event was held in St. Petersburg in 1914. So, Sochi and Russia was a new experience for both the Russians and the drivers. On first glance, the track looks a lot like Abu Dhabi in terms of its environs, with the Black Sea replacing the Marina Bay. Hermann Tilke ‘designed’ the street circuit, and it seems he wasn’t given much leeway in terms of any ‘designing’. The flow of the track is like Valencia, and despite the praise I showered upon it on live TV, I think Sector 1 is its only saving grace. The track is not very exciting, with all the turns feeling exactly the same, and it has way too many 90-degree ones. That may have been because of the constraints of integrating it in the Olympic stadium.

A panoramic shot of the circuit

We all watched the GP 2 race for getting maximum information about the track, as no one had gone racing here before. It seems the first sector, especially Turn 2 and the sweep into Turn 3 was a good place to overtake. The start was going to be extremely crucial because it was a long 800-metre run to the braking point of Turn 1. DRS zones could also have some overtakes. The race was predetermined to be a one-stopper, because Pirelli did not want to take chances with an unknown variable and went conventional on the tire compounds. It turned out the tarmac was very grippy and not so abrasive, which is unusual about a new track. 

Sochi track map

Friday & Saturday practice sessions

Practice was mostly about getting a feel of the track and trying it out for real after all those long hours in the simulator. In FP1, I did the installation lap and then proceeded to understand the track. Six minutes into the session I start trading a few fastest laps with the boys. After the first runs, I top the list with a second clear over all. I get a spin at Turn 8 in the second run, and the asphalt run-off came in handy. The session ended with me third after the two Mercedes cars. The car continues to feel good in FP2 and I post a fastest time of the day. I start exchanging laps with Lewis and Nico, who beat me by a few hundreds of a second every time. But that was inevitable with them being Mercs. FP2 results see me 6th on the charts with Kevin going second after Lewis. That could only mean one thing. There is pace in the car this weekend. FP3 was a slight anti-climax with me in 9th position and Kevin in 15th after he suffered a driveshaft problem. We had gone a bit radical with the car setup and it didn’t work out. So it was a real challenge to pick ourselves together and do better for qualifying, on the old car setup. Well, let’s see if we do redeem our performance, shall we?

Qualifying

The first few runs in Q1 saw me in 13th position. I decided I had had enough and put up a lap that pushed me up to 5th. The next run I go 4th fastest, and Kevin tails me in 5th. Q1 saw the Felipe eliminated with some problem, along with Pastor. And the Marussia and Caterhams. I do well in Q2 as well, with initial laps placing me at 5th, but Kevin and Daniel Kvyat beat me down to 6th place at the end of Q2. Q3 was a scrap between the Mercedes at the front and amongst the rest of us behind them.  The first runs see me go 3rd fastest, but Lewis promptly relegates me downwards. I get a few more runs, but at the end I am not able to best Valtteri, who looked good enough to play with the Mercs. Kevin finished 6th, and local hero Daniel Kvyat got rousing applause for a well-qualified 5th. The pole, you ask? Lewis, of course! I was very elated to find the speed on the car again, and it was a cheery Saturday.

Race

I will not take long to finish this, because despite being a 53-lap race, nothing interesting really happened. The sure-to-feature safety car, as predicted by most pundits failed to turn up too. Fuel-saving was going to be a crucial factor, and a safety car would’ve helped with that. The race was reminiscent of the late races in 2013, when Pirelli went conventional with tire compounds, and it resulted in one-stop races. Nevertheless, flat-spotting the tires was a major concern here, so we needed to try our best not to lock-up or spin. We had gathered from the sessions so far that the race was going to be heavy on fuel, and not-so-heavy on the tires. Qualifying 4th after the bad showing in Q3 had given me some hope going into the race. I was going in with a determination to do my best.

Marussia with a message for their driver Jules

Before the race starts, we follow some new protocols regarding the national anthem where all drivers have to line up at the front of the grid. We also shook hands with Vladimir Putin and other Russian politicians. The Russian fans had turned up in full capacity, and it was good to see that. The main objective for me in the race was to get ahead of Valtteri Bottas, and snatch the third podium step.

The race starts and I get off pretty clean. It is a long dash to the first braking point, and I see a Mercedes car having a massive lockup into Turn 1. Turns out it was Nico, who got bad flatspots and had to pit immediately. Thanks to Nico hitting the pits, I am up to 3rd position. The start proves to be a blinding one for Fernando who started from 7th position, and he is in my mirrors by the end of lap 6. The team reminds me on the radio that he is 0.8 seconds behind me. He is rapidly closing in on me, and Valtteri is 5 seconds ahead. Which means I am falling off on pace. By the end of another lap, I pull away slightly from him, though still within 1 second and DRS range. The Ferrari goes off my trail in the next lap by 2 seconds, when Fernando puts in a slow lap. The drop-off continues with Fernando and me, and at the end of 10 laps, he is 3.6 seconds behind me, and I am trailing Valtteri by 9 seconds. Nico’s relegation to the back may have changed things, or not. The team lets me know that he intends to run the whole race on the tires he just put on. I grin to myself saying it is too early for him to do that because he doesn’t know if the tires will last.

Valtteri and me squabbling over grid position at race start

The next few laps involve me nursing my tires and keeping Fernando at bay. He closes in, and then I start matching his pace. It was the good old back and forth, with no one losing or gaining in the end. The team and I decide to stick with Plan A, which is to do 20-odd laps on the soft tires and then pit. The Ferrari doesn’t prove to be much of a threat, and I keep Fernando at a respectable distance. I pit on Lap 21 and go out in 9th position after a good one. I get Kimi in front of me, who pits in a while. Meanwhile, Nico has managed to overtake or stop-jump a lot of cars and is in front of me after JEV pits. Mercedes have managed to make it work till now, but will they be able to carry on with such heavily-used tires till the end? I am hoping Nico’s tires go off and I am able to overtake him in my new boots.

Fernando was in my mirrors for half the race 

The next few laps sees me maintain a steady gap to Nico at 3 seconds, and even though his tires are old, the car is working good. After lap 28, I am in 5th position, having achieved the undercut on Fernando, who is now down in 7th behind Kevin. Valtteri and Nico are still ahead of me, and it looks like I will finish 4th, unless Nico’s tires go off in closing stages. But by lap 30, Nico is closing in on Valtteri, and both of them are stuck behind Sebastian, who hasn’t pitted. He pits, and they are unleashed into clear air. Nico takes the opportunity and makes a bold overtake on Valtteri. He seems desperate to do damage control.

With 19 laps to go, the result seems written for me and Kevin, in 4th and 5th position. Unless a safety car features. Valtteri is 3 seconds ahead of me, and I start in pursuit of him. To no avail. The Williams car too is racing after the Mercedes of Nico, who is still expected to drop pace due to old tires.

With 10 laps remaining, I am still in 4th, and fuel consumption is looking good according to the team. The effort to rope in Valtteri proves futile as he notches up fast laps one after the other in the chase for Nico. The race ends in the same positions and that is that. I am obviously happy with a good showing, but a racer always wants to win. I feel that we did the best we could. And I hope I made my mark to be considered for the seat next year. Wrinkles or not, I beat Kevin and 45 points ahead of him in the championship. And congratulations to Lewis and Nico for the now mundane one-two and Mercedes for winning the Constructors' World Championship.

That pink helmet really stands out


- Jenson Button, driving the MP4-29 for McLaren

No comments:

Post a Comment