Sunday 22 March 2015

The New Horse In The Stable Talks About The Australian GP

Sigh, I am finally in Ferrari, Michael would have been so proud. I will be brutally honest; I have been trying to get into the place even while Redbull was giving me wings. There comes a time when you realise you absolutely need ‘red’ on your CV, and I have been in that place since 2009. (No offence, Deitrich.) So Ferrari… So far it has been an absolute kick to be here. I have been an extremely lucky bugger to escape the shambles Redbull is in now, though I will admit McLaren (I actually mean Fernando) are in worse shape. *teehee* I have fit in quite well at Ferrari, and the internet and F1 fan sites are plastered with photographs of Kimi and me bromancing around the garage all through the GP weekend. Yes, I have a great rapport with Kimi, we get along well, thank you very much. Much to the chagrin of other drivers and astonishment of the media, as seen from the post-race press brief, we are actually friends. If you guys don’t remember, I will recount the hilarious conference interaction between me and a certain other driver at the end of this post. It will spoil the suspense of the race if I give it up now.


Artwork by Abhinav Krishna, an amazing F1 artist 
Show him some love : The Circus


Winter was a very long but exciting one, and initially I was really apprehensive going head on into the mess that Ferrari was in. Atleast Redbull had wins in 2014, no matter if they were not mine. The getting-used-to and getting-to-know-every-Italian on the team was really big, with some family dinners thrown in for good measure. After the oust of Luca di Montezemolo from the team, there seems to be a little less intimidation from the top brass and a little freed up atmosphere in the lower echelons of the team. This is evident in the much more informal Twitter handle now, and the inauguration of the Instagram account. Things happen for the best I reckon. Personally, I never liked Luca, though I have spoken to him a few times only. After the tests at Jerez and Barcelona, I was convinced that the car was definitely better than the RB10. And Kimi was positively beaming, which indicated it was infinitely better than the F14-T. (See? I can read him man!) The team had worked hard over the winter, and had added atleast 80bhp to the sluggish engine unit. Which puts us in top contention, but still a long way off from the current ‘prancers’ Mercedes.


Bromancing (We do not engage in the Italian style)


This weekend we arrive in Albert Park, which will customarily kick off the 2015 F1 season. Albert Park, in spite of technically being a street circuit is quite different from other street tracks. It has fast, sweeping corners and as opposed to a traditional street circuit, which has very less heavy braking, Albert Park has plenty. Hence, taking care of the tires in the race is as crucial as being fast, as that matters a lot when strategy is key. We drivers love Albert Park, and the fans here always turn up in hordes. I adore this place, even though I got booed for winning here on previous occasions. Does being in the most popular F1 team change that? Let’s find out!


Australian Grand Prix

Run at Albert Park, a recreational park on the outskirts of Melbourne serving as an F1 track for the weekend, Australian GP is the popular season starter for F1. The track itself snakes around the Albert Park Lake, and makes for a picturesque venue, with the Melbourne skyline adorning the horizon. With 58 laps, the track offers plenty of opportunities for overtaking, but Turn 3 rules supreme amongst all. Getting a good exit after the first couple of turns is extremely important, and hence race start often decides the final standings. (Well, when doesn’t it, in F1?) It is a clockwise circuit, so atleast no oddity there. Pirelli formulated a new tire compounds for the race, and this was presented in the form of medium and soft rubber. As the circuit is merciful on the boots, most drivers are expected to do a one-stop race. We are fighting it out with the Williams in reality, with the Mercs too far off in terms of pace. So, depending on how the race plays out, the strategy will be put into play dynamically. Oh well. I am just messing around with you guys. We decide the main strategy post qualifying. Don’t listen to politically correct answers.


Melbourne F1 Circuit map


Friday and Saturday practice sessions

Practice sessions in the season kick-offs are all about apprehensions and curiosities. The former are about your own car and the latter are about the other cars. I am one of the firsts to line up at the pitlane exit at the start of FP1, like a dutiful son. The first lap I put in for my new team is 3.7 seconds off from the one Nico put in for Mercedes. That was just a warmer though. I leap to second behind Nico on my second attempt, but still the effort is 2 seconds off him. That was it for flying laptimes with minimal fuels. The team let me do long runs after that and I end up fifth on the charts. FP2 is mainly checking up on the pace we could give in for qualifying, and it is stopped briefly when Kevin crashed his ailing MP4-30. The session also sees me competing with Kimi for fastest laps until the two bullying Mercs decide to put their good (Notice that I did not say ‘best’) game on and take away our swings. I am quite satisfied with my car settings, and at the end of the session I stand third after clocking 26 laps. I am still 0.7 seconds off, and the Mercs still only have their good game on. FP3 briefly sees Valtteri grabbing my third position for a while, and I clock in a decent lap in vengeance. This not only sends Valt to his rightful place but also happens to knock Nico off his second place. (He was on the slower, medium tires though) I hold on, and FP3 ends with me sandwiched between the mighty Mercs, with Kimi clocking in a distant sixth.


Qualifying

Q1 is on and the team decides to send Kimi out first. I take the car out on soft tires after some last minute tunings, and I take my time warming up the tires in Q1. Meanwhile, Kimi puts in a lap of 1m30.188s on the faster soft tires and goes first. I light up purple sector after sector and beat Kimi with a solid 1m29.307s. Lewis and Nico manage to take the mickey out of us, and slot in laptimes in 1m28s on the slower, medium tires. Alarmingly, Valtteri puts in a laptime of 1m30.488s to slot in behind me on mediums too! The team thinks that is enough running for Q1, and both the Ferraris find their way back to the garage. Max, who is the youngest chap on the grid, gives a stellar lap on softs in his Toro Rosso to go third, displacing me. He is relegated to fourth by the end of the session by Felipe, who takes the third slot on softs. The shocker of the session is Mclaren, with both Jenson and Kevin (stepping in for Fernando) knocked out of Q1 with Marcus Ericsson for company.

Q2 sees every car on the soft compound tires, and I set my first laptime to grab third place from Kimi behind the Mercs. I clock in a 1m27.594s. The team thinks that is good enough and doesn’t send me out again. I remain third at the end of Q2 and five drivers are eliminated. Q3 starts, and it is a 12 minute tussle to the pole. I go around the circuit like a madman and clock in a 1m27.519s, to slot in second behind Lewis. Nico runs off after a lockup at the second last corner, and Felipe slots in third after me, 0.6s off. Kimi is fourth after him. Meanwhile, on his second run, Lewis improves massively to a 1m26.327s, and Felipe manages to snatch the third slot from me. My tires are relatively worn out, and I cannot put in a better lap again. Bummer. So, Kimi and I line up fifth and fourth respectively on the grid for the race.


Artwork by Abhinav Krishna, an amazing F1 artist 
Show him some love : The Circus


Race

The Sunday starts with just 15 cars lining up the grid; Manor Racing does a no-show, Valtteri drops out with a lower back injury and Kevin & Daniil back out with mechanical failures on their cars. My race is with the lone Williams of Felipe, and probably my own teammate Kimi. The third rung on the podium is up for grabs, and unless the Mercs suffer any problems, the other two rungs are out of contention for the rest of us. We take the cars around for the warmup laps, and I have a slow start which momentarily unnerves me. But thankfully I recover and take my place back from Kimi. After snaking around the track and getting enough heat in the tires, we all line up on the grid. Charlie takes charge and the five red lights come on one by one, to go off simultaneously, and we are GO! I have a slow start again and Felipe has bolted ahead of me and is chasing the Williams. I have a bit of a moment with Kimi at Turn 1, and to avoid getting hit, he makes a manoeuvre which makes him lose a few places and end up eighth.  I see a Lotus in the barriers at Turn 2 in my mirrors, and it turns out to be Pastor. It turns out I trigger those events, by tapping a kerb and nudging Kimi. Kimi ends up slowing, and the three cars behind him try dodging him and one of them, Pastor’s Lotus, spins into the wall. Racing incident, I suppose. The guys ask me to be careful on the second lap, and look out for tire-piercing carbon shards. The new safety car, Mercedes AMG GT S, makes a debut.


It was a racing incident... Kimi agrees!


Safety car goes back in in no time, and we are racing again. The Mercs have already raced off to chase the sunset together, and Lewis is 3 seconds ahead of me. Felipe is 0.7s ahead, and I prepare myself to rein him in. DRS is active and I begin to up my game. But it turns out Felipe has some tricks up his sleeve too, and he matches my pace despite my DRS advantage. By the end of Lap 12, he is 1.2 seconds ahead of me, and I fall back, biding my time. I continue chasing him, and keeping him in the sub-1.5s distance. The guys on the wall have got some good mind games on with the Williams crew, and it’s a matter of best-strategy-wins. Felipe is called in by his team on lap 21, and I take my chance and launch off. Felipe rejoins in sixth behind Daniel, and that is good news because my ex-teammate will hold him up for sure. I lap faster than earlier when I was in Felipe’s bad air, and I can’t say the same for him in Daniel’s exhausts right now. The team calls me in on lap 24, changes me into the medium boots; the move brings me out comfortably ahead of Felipe, despite a 3.6s stop. All hail the reverse-undercut! My team wins in the strategy mind game, and it is up to me to take the car to the finish as I am one-stopping. By lap 28, I am nearly 2 seconds ahead of the Williams, with a clean track ahead of me.


I dare you to pit!


At lap 33, I am well and truly clear of the hounding by Felipe, and more than 4s ahead of him. By lap 40, the gap between us has stabilised and I can afford to look around at other things and chatter away into the radio. Kimi makes a second stop, as he had put on softs after his first, and needed to stop again to use the mediums. He rejoins fifth, poised to challenge Felipe, but his race ends because of tire on left-rear is not attached properly. Shame. He was doing amazing. At the front, Lewis is leading from Nico, and both the Mercs are miles off from me. As I am letting my mind wander, the guys warn me that Felipe is slowly encroaching and has chipped away the gap to 3.2 seconds on lap 45. I get a grip on and sit up straight, metaphorically. The team warns me that I have to look after the depleting fuel too. I put in conservative laps, and Felipe continues to eat into the gap and is a scary 2.5s behind me on lap 51. I decide that there is enough fuel to last me through the 7 laps remaining, and decide to push away. I manage to match Felipe’s laptime on our next lap. It is lap 56, and I recover lost ground and put myself four seconds ahead of the Williams again. Soon, the three remaining laps are done, and I cross the chequered flag behind Lewis and Nico in a distant, 35s off third place. Turns out Lewis and Nico had a close fought race too, and the German was just 1.8s behind the Brit in the final lap.


Arnie stealing everyone's thunder!


I am elated that I have managed to bag a podium on my Ferrari debut. A special mention should also go to rookies Carlos and Felipe Nasr, who have managed to bag good points for their teams in their very first F1 race. Arnold interviews us on the podium, and I don’t hear any boos for me. Now, as I promised, the following is the excerpt from the post-race press conference:

I mention to the interviewer that I feel bad about both the Ferraris not finishing and Kimi having to retire.
Nico(butting in): Are you genuinely disappointedly to see him (Kimi) retire?
Me: Yes… I don’t know how much you like each other (Lewis and Nico) but Kimi and myself we get along, so I think it is a shame.
Nico(defensive now): I thought as a racing driver you might like it that you have a couple of points’ advantage over him now. I don’t want you off the wrong foot there, sorry.

I smile knowingly at Lewis. And he looks on with a hint of awkwardness on his face.

No comments:

Post a Comment